Thursday, 11 December 2014

Why you should get a job

This one should be obvious, to get money so you can survive. But that's not what I mean. It's more than just surviving. It's living, and being able to do what you want to do. Jobs, even part time, force you to be responsible, which is a great thing to be. The money they pay you allows you to go on trips and eat yummy food and buy the things you want. Seems like the best part. Well for me it is not. For me, that is just an added bonus. The whole reason I got a job in the first place was because I was lonely. I didn't have any friends, I had no confidence, and my self esteem was falling through the floor. I was always bored because I had nowhere to go, nothing to do. I got a job because I needed something in my life to keep me going. And it worked. Within the first few months of working at my job, I was already feeling better about myself. I felt I was helping people, and I was working with my fellow employees. I felt important. And I loved it. I didn't even notice the paychecks rolling in sometimes because I was so enveloped with the amazing people I worked with, and the friendly environment that made me feel welcome. Useful. Worth something. The relationships I built with my workmates was so strong and unbreakable that I would work overtime just to be with them, and to see them. Everyone treated me as an equal. And just like my bank account balance, my experience and confidence grew. I've gotten promoted a couple times, and I'm moving up in the ranks at our company. I believe people should get jobs, so they can learn that there are more people out there, more people that are willing to take the time to meet you, to talk to you. You will be able to help people, make people's days better. And you can feel better about yourself. No matter how much money you make at the job, you'll never make enough to buy a relationship as good as the ones you'll build while working,

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is truly an inspiration to me and I have the upmost respect for you to post it for all of us to see. Going from being lonely to making friends and gaining confidence in yourself must have been a tough journey, and in the end it seems like it was well worth it. And I understand how you feel. Working at my dad's office I don't have any fellow employee's the same age as me, and sometimes I feel lonely even though I'm working and making money. I agree with you that money isn't the most important part, and that it can never amount to the experiences you gain by working with your fellow friends. But I don't have any fellow friends where I work. Sure, the nurses will say "hi" when I walk by and I know a couple of the doctors, but I long for the relationships you have with your fellow employees. For me, I have different ways of feeling important and making new friends. For me, it's soccer. Over the past few years, I have made new friends from all over Ontario, playing on Caledon and competing in tournaments across the province. I guess this is my way of feeling like a part of something, and I agree that it feels great. In the end, I believe that there are many different ways one can connect with people in their community and build friendships, and your blog is a strong example of this great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree more. Getting a job allows you to develop lots of new skills, and gives you a healthy alternative to what you normally might do in your past time (for some people it's watching tv, or playing video games). It also gives you the opportunity to develop new social skills, social skills that you cannot attain just by going to school everyday. Getting a job also teaches teenagers different skills depending on their work environment, such as social skills, organization, responsibility, and it gives us an opportunity to manage our earnings, and spend money responsibly. I do believe that we get a lot more from a job as teenagers aside from just the paychecks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally Brennan I believe that getting a job at a younger age then needed is not required. Due to the fact that everyone is only young once and there is only so much time to experience, and do everything you can while you are young. So because of this I personally believe that getting a job in high school is in some respects a waste of time. But I also don't want to bring you down in saying that I don't support you getting a job. Because of your circumstances and scenario I do think that a job is a great choice in life. So to conclude I believe that there isn't a true reason why any one person should get a job, due to the fact that it is different for everyone, and not all young people feel the need for a job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brennan I fully agree with you here! I use to have way too much free time and felt like I was just wasting my time moping around, so over the summer I got my NLS, AWSI,and WSI and have been working for quite a few months. Other than the lack of free time now, for school and such, I feel like I'm doing what I should be doing! I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something and you're right with the building relationships too! I have made so many new relationships since september I can't believe it.Getting a job seems like the next step in life and once you've done it you can feel your character build along with all your new life experiences! Good on you Brennan for taking that step, glad to hear you're having fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete