Over the last few weeks, many people have been revealing their barriers to success. One of my biggest barriers to success is my behavior, and the ease with which I am distracted. As with many other teenagers, I find distractions in even the most bland scenarios, whether through phones, those around me, or even a clicky pen halfway across a classroom. When something distracts me, I find it near impossible to complete work, and this is reflected heavily in the success I achieve. How I have begun to overcome this barrier, is through a combination of sensory isolation, a method that involves separating oneself from the outside environment, and concentration. Through the use of these methods, I feel I have improved my productivity, and thus begun to overcome this barrier to success.
I see what you mean, Norge. Expanding on this, I think everyone has something that something that keeps them from academic success. A popular one I can think of is cellphones, this is pretty evident by the number of people that get told to put their phones away in class. Another one that I am personally familiar with is sheer hatred of the subject, which may have something to do with me writing this the second night before returning to school. But like you said, you, and other people have/need to find out a way of overcoming/dealing with their barriers. For me it is just having to remind myself that in a couple years, a lot of this won't matter. Going with the cellphone example, I think that a good way to realize that there are more important things to focus on is by spending an extended period of time away from them. I've done this and I never feel that I "need" to be on my phone. Its become quite easy to realize when I need to do work and concentrate and when I can afford to kill some time on my phone. Over all, I think this is a great topic that I think every one can relate to.
ReplyDelete