Sunday, 7 December 2014

Cultural Codes

Cultural Codes


      The question I was supposed to answer is - how am I affected by cultural codes - but I believe that cultural codes affect almost every aspect of our lives. Cultural codes affect everything from the foods we eat to the clothes we wear. In fact there are some places where people don't wear clothes at all. That may seem strange to you, but to them it's perfectly normal. Think of it this way, imagine your outside, it's a beautiful day and the sun is shining. You look up at the sky, and suddenly it turns green. What would you think? oh no the sky is green there must be something wrong. But, what if for your entire life the sky was green, you've never known a different color sky. You would think nothing of the green sky. It would be perfectly normal to you. It puts into perspective that although you may think what you do is normal, so does everyone else. If you really stopped and thought about it culture affects everything. School, the internet, the type of person you are, these are all changed by cultural codes. The question asked was how am I affected by cultural codes, but the real question is, how am I not?

1 comment:

  1. This is really powerful. Good blog. And it's true, even for small things like difference in language. It seems as if people speaking a different language is weird, but from their perspective what they say is completely normal, and you're the one with the alien tongue.

    ReplyDelete