My parents have definitely influenced me in a huge way and have changed me for the better. They are the two people in the world that I can count on no matter what. It would not matter what my problem would be they are there to support me. Recently I have been letting my grades slip and haven't been a very accountable person to my friends. My parents started to notice this and then started to intervene because I am no longer the person I used to be. I refused to listen and resented them for a while. I continued to make bad choices. I know now that they weren't doing this to be mean but they were doing it because they have my best interest in mind. On the other what I don’t think they understand is that I am a person to and I have make choices and decision that wont always be for the better. I have to learn from them and I certainly won’t be able to do that by just listening to them and always taking there advice. We are all becoming young adults, are parents aren't going to be there in a couple of years we will all be off at school. You will be put into situations that could be dangerous and if you are still depending on your parents to be the ones that tell you right and wrong then you will have a tough time. So over all your parents do influence you, but you always have to remember that they aren't the ones that need to be pleased with your life choices, it is you that should pleased and happy.
You've touched on one of the biggest struggles of being a parent: letting your child become independent and learn from their mistakes. When you are a baby we let you cry in your crib so you can learn to self-soothe, although we know your discomfort could end as soon as we pick you up. As a toddler, it takes you 10 minutes to put on your own coat but we could jump in and it would take 10 seconds. As a teen we watch you drive away to a party where you may make bad choices. All of these scenarios are painful in their own way, but must be allowed in order for you to gain independence and learn what works for you, and that there are consequences for your actions. When a student of mine jumped out the classroom window and her parent excused her behaviour, I had to wonder what the future held in store for her if there were no consequences for her behaviour. You clearly understand that there are consequences for YOUR behaviour, so perhaps it IS time for your parents to let you be.
ReplyDelete