Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Barriers to Success

Many people believe that time is the greatest barrier to success. I completely disagree. Time may be a factor affecting success but in the end it all comes down to you choosing whether or not you will be successful. Kids today are growing up in the technology generation and even though it can be beneficial in many ways, it can very easily be misused. People often complain that they are too busy to have enough time to do their work or claim that they don't understand the instructions. Then instead of going to fix the problem, they just sit down and start playing a game or watching a video.
                                                  
I know I am guilty of doing things like this. However, these problems are very easily fixed, if the instructions were unclear, then ask a peer who understood to explain it to you or get in contact with the teacher and ask them to explain it again. If you say that you don't have enough time honestly think about how much "relaxation time" you have everyday. And then think about all the time you spend with friends. Then think about how much time you spend complaining about not having enough time. I'm convinced that if all of this time was put towards to completing the assignment there wouldn't be any problems with completion. And if it still isn't enough time, explain to the teacher that you truly tried to complete it but didn't have enough time and I'm sure you will be granted an extension.

Procrastination and Time Management are very prevalent problems in teens today and misused technology isn't helping... Even though making this kind of mistake at this age will reward a bad mark on a test or assignment, it is still a very powerful learning experience and will encourage the student to work harder in order to achieve higher marks. I know that at this time in my life I need to work harder than I ever have so that I will have good enough marks to make it into the University Program that I want to get into and once I'm in that program, then I will have to work even harder than I am now to get into Medical School. I will admit that there are still times that I just want to curl up in a ball and eat instead of do my work but I know that I can't. I think of all the people in the world who would do anything to be able to receive an education and how many people are that dedicated to being successful. I recognize that if I want a spot in Medical School, I have to be better than a lot of those people and the only way to get better than them is to work hard.
                                                    
Thankfully, there are still a lot of people who have difficulties with procrastination and time management and I believe that if I do one day become a doctor, it will largely be due to my perseverance and time management skills.

3 comments:

  1. It's like you read my mind Christian. As a teacher I see wasted potential on a daily basis, and there are many days when all I want to do is throw students' phones out the window because it is preventing them from properly understanding a concept or from doing their best work on an assignment. Multitasking is a myth, especially for teens whose brains are still developing. It has also been proven that screens distract not only the people using them, but the people around them. Are your peers' phones holding you back? Absolutely. You got it right when you reminded us how many people in the world would give anything for the educational opportunities that we get - they would be appalled to see how it is being wasted on the need to be constantly entertained. Do I want my doctor to spend 5 hours a day on a trivia app? No. I want her to be using technology to become educated on the latest findings that will help her patients. I don't care if she knows the answer to "Chewbacca is a ...".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the answer your looking for is "Wookie"! On a serious note I agree that technology interfere's with individuals learning abilities,(In school). The reality is that technology is both a pro and a con held in the palm of a hand. It may distract us in class, however we use it for our benefit as well, such as posting these blogs for our peers to see. It may make the focus of the day "What Chewbacca is", however technology is what may give you the ability to ask your peers what you missed when you were caught in that intense game of trivia crack! It for the most part is pointless if it takes your focus away just as easily as it can give you it. However are all the beneficial aspects worth completely not using in your day to day life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron...did I actually say those things? At least you are taking away something memorable.

      Delete