Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Important moments

Important moments

This is similar to the defining moment topic but this is not so much defining but more of an important moment that I took a lesson or a message from that can be applied to many situations and life its self. This moment, well more of experience was the canoe trip that I went on with my outdoor ed class. This trip was pretty awesome, for me at least. Partly because I enjoy that type of thing but also because I made it that way. I knew before we even left that there would be a few people who were going to make the trip more difficult than it had to be, so I made a point to myself to ignore them at all possible costs or if it came to it, which it did, just suck it up and deal with it. I was not going to let one person who decided that they didn't want to paddle or someone who thought they could get away with slacking off on a portage ruin the experience for me. And that mentality is a good one to have in life. I'm fairly sure at least some of us have been that one person in that group for a project that seems to be the only one who cares enough to put in work when no one else is. It pretty much always ends up with that one person doing the whole thing. Another example, anyone here who has had a part time job or even just volunteered with other people, has probably gotten stuck on a shift with someone you don't like and you know from the start that there is no way out of it, so the only option is to suck it up and wait it out. And sadly, thats just how it is. You are going to be forced to work and co operate with difficult people who you don't want to be with. You can either wine and complain about it, which doesn't get you anywhere, or just deal with it and get the task over and done with. For every person you get along with, there are just as many that you don't, and from that canoe trip, I learned that sometimes you have to make a real conscious effort to deal with the ones that make your life difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with you here Fin! On that camping trip we just had to suck it up, enjoy everything else, and try not to let anything bother you. But on that trip there weren't just difficult people, the weather was a challenge in itself! I feel like that just emphasizes your point and shows how it applies to more than just the people you'll encounter in life. Great presentation FinFace, really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Finley. That camping trip really goes to show that sometimes we need to take the good with the bad, and yes it may be difficult sometimes but it's worth it in the end. That canoe trip really showed me that we might have to do things even if we do not want to do them. For example when we had to clean the dishes after eating a meal no one would want to do them because the water was freezing cold but I would end up doing them because they had to get done, so I would just have to suck it up and deal with it. So I fully understand what it feels like to just suck it up and get things done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete