Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Barriers to success

Barriers to success are all around us, such as time, expectations, responsibility, some harder to over come than others . I believe the biggest barrier to success is trying to please everyone. Trying to please everyone is an impossible task that can be achieved by no one, but yet for some reason people let it keep them from succeeding. Even I find myself trying to please everyone and I do this because we as a society measure success by how many people we please or impress. When you are a teenager you have to impress your teachers, friends and parents. Then when you have a job you are always striving to please your boss, your co-worker and still your parents. Some people might think that your self is the biggest barrier to success however even if you choose to take infinitive and overcome all other barriers you still wont be able to please everyone. The only way to over come this barrier is to realize that it is unrealistic to please ever one. You should just focus on pleasing the most important people; in school it is your teacher and with a job its your boss. Over all for one to success you must over come many complex and difficult barriers.

3 comments:

  1. I see the point you are trying to get across, but I disagree. I feel that although it may be impossible to please everyone, you should always strive to do your best, and if your best isn't enough then thats fine. If you give yourself slack and say I can't please everyone so I'm just going to focus on a few, you will inevitably abuse it. I believe that no matter how far you think you can get, always strive to for the top and wherever you land will undeniably be higher than if you aimed somewhere else.

    One more thing, I don't think "infinitive" is a word, or at least the word you meant. Did you mean initiative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Richard, you have touched upon a serious issue that is being discussed by people on a daily basis - these people are mainly women. Women feel an immense pressure to please everyone in their lives and to always appear to be perfect. There are serious consequences for not agreeing to abide by this unwritten dictum: you can be labelled "lazy" if you appear to not care, or as a "bitch" if you stand up for yourself and tell people "no". What I am not seeing is teenagers trying to please everyone (in this case, gender does not seem to matter) in a genuine fashion. I don't disagree that you and your peers feel this pressure - I felt it too at your age - but what I see less and less of is a desire to do your best for your own satisfaction and self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I always find that I'am trying to please everyone but myself and end up doing things that aren't truly what I would want to do. For example, I took guitar lessons to impress my granddad because he is a music professor at a university. I never had a desire to learn guitar and never will I just was trying to please my granddad and make him proud. I do realize that it is impossible to please everyone but I do it anyway and in the process l loose sight of my personal goals and interests.

    ReplyDelete