Tuesday, 16 December 2014
Defining Moment
My defining moment is a probably a little different than everyone else's. My defining moment happened on June 29th, 2014.That was the day I got my black belt. I spent 5 years training for it and went through a 16 hour long fitness test to qualify for it.I ran over 10km that weekend, did literally hundreds of kicks, so many that I messed up my hip (It pops sometimes), and overcame many inner obstacles to achieve my goal. I wasn't the "active" kid when I was younger. I preferred to spend my time reading instead of going outside so I would have never imagined I could get to this point. The things I learned about myself in that one weekend will stay with me forever. I learned I was strong enough, that I am a fighter and that no matter what, I don't give up. So when I smashed the board that was placed between me and my belt I felt beyond empowered. I had gone from the terrified 11 year old girl, who could barely talk to people, to the girl I am today, more confident and secure in who I am. I used to be scared to tell people I did Karate but now I realize it is as much a part of me as my eye color. It makes up who I am; and while it is not the only thing I am but it is a massive part. The confidence and empowerment i got from that one second, when I smashed that board and held my belt above my head, will define me forever.
Labels:
Jocelyn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I strongly agree that achieving a goal after working very hard can very much empower you. Also, just like you I had been a lot more shy when I was younger so my parents got me involved in sports which made me more confident, less shy and make more friends. I believe being involved in sports or any activities that involve making and achieving goals is very important to growing up.
ReplyDeleteThis is so amazing and inspiring to see that you were once not comfortable sharing this part of your life with people but you overcame it. It is really great to see how hard you worked and all the obstacles that you had to over come to get to this point in your life. I don't think anyone, including me, are able to realize the intensity and how much work it actually takes to accomplish what you have. So I hope that you continue to share this part of your life with people and to be proud of it!
ReplyDelete