Technology's Effects on Society
Everybody has seen the moody, ignorant kid with music blaring out of his headphones, or the girl rapidly texting on her phone. The youth of today are constantly immersed in technological advancements that promote non stop communication and help to “enhance” our lives, whether it be cellphones, gaming systems, laptops, or MP3 players. But does all of this new technology have a positive impact on society? I believe that the growth of technology has negatively impacted the social interactions of today’s youth because it isolates individuals from reality, hinders communication, and serves for the concept of immediate satisfaction.
|
Technology has a negative influence on us because it separates individuals from reality. A very popular example of this is simply plugging your headphones in when you’re in public, isolating yourself from the real world. For some people, this is the case because they feel that it preoccupies them from the uncomfortable factors of everyday life. We all have those days, however for many people this is an everyday reality.
Taking a look at this image, we see a woman being harassed out in an alleyway by a man holding a knife. The significance of this is that she’s shouting out for help, and nobody is coming to her aid. However, in the building next to her, everyone is tweeting hashtags such as #United4Her and #Dosomething. This is a clear example of how society works today, where instead of actually taking action and doing something to help, we find satisfaction in things such as tweeting or advertising the problem, hoping someone else will deal with it themselves. Because of this new technology, people feel that making others aware of these problems are actually helping to stop them, where in reality people simply aren't taking the serious action needed to stop these things from happening. By constantly being cut off from reality because of these technological devices, a generation with substandard social abilities is becoming more and more apparent. Overall, I believe that technology has a negative influence on youth as it separates individuals from reality, diminishing the full potential of a successful generation.
Furthermore, I believe that modern technology hinders personal communication, which negatively impacts our age-group. I guarantee that before I had actually met some of you in person, I had already been following you on something such as Twitter or Instagram. This is probably the same for most of this class, as new social medias on the internet are becoming more and more popular. But when we refer to it as a social media, are we really classifying it properly? I believe that although we have the chance to converse over the internet with our friends, these websites don’t really offer the social assistance that we believe, and negatively impact the way we interact will people in the real world.
This image portrays the modern day relationships people have with their friends and loved ones, where instead of conversing with each other face to face they are more consumed by the technology that they feel offers the same opportunity. This is a problem in society as people are becoming less and less developed among their peers and are becoming unable to build stable relationships that don’t revolve around technology. For some people, technology creates an illusion or perception that they are very connected with their friends and family, when in reality they are anything but. The key to containing stable relationships with people is by balancing online AND offline connections. In conclusion, I believe that technology has a negative impact on our age-group, as it drastically changes the ways we communicate with each other.
|
Similarly to personal communication, technology negatively affects youth by constructing the mindset of immediate satisfaction. The creations of portable technological devices has slowly ingrained the idea of instant gratification into people's minds. For example, when an individual experiences something bad in their lives, they have the constant comfort that there is always someone to help whether it’s talking via text message or tweeting from our smart phones. However if they were put in the same situation without these devices, what would they do to cope? Although people don’t realize it, society is extremely dependant on new technology, and this is alarming because it isn’t always reliable.
This is an image of what looks to be an iPhone, but when you look closely it is designed as a prison. The importance of this image is that prisons are meant to keep bad people locked up - essentially showing how people are almost "behind bars" when it comes to being on their phones. This shows how people are dependant on their devices, and are too attached to live without them. Since society is so obsessed with technology, people are unable to do things to help educate ourselves such as read and pay attention in class, because they are too preoccupied by the latest social media or app that was released. When it comes down to it, people are so attached to the feeling of satisfaction from their devices that they are unable to live their lives to the best of their abilities, which is why I feel that technology negatively affects society by adjusting everyone's minds to immediate satisfaction.
|
Lastly, I believe that technology acts as a barrier to success among the youth today. An example of this would be that kids spend loads of time on their new devices rather than actually living new experiences that the “outside” world has to offer. Rather than going out to have fun with their friends, youth stay at home on social medias and take comfort in getting the most “likes” on their latest Instagram picture.
This image portrays someone struggling to balance out their time and technology, being clearly overpowered by the effects of social media. Also, on the right side where the kid is it is bright and sunny, where on the left side the background is dull and dark. I believe that this shows that society is being controlled by the social media and technology, and it has a negative impact on the way people live their lives. People constantly let technology take up their time, whether it’s on social media or useless apps, when they could be spending their time more usefully educating themselves or participating in new experiences. This leads people to believe that the amount of “likes” they get on a picture is more important than actually feeling confident in themselves without the assistance of social medias. I believe that this is a huge barrier to success for the youth in our society. Later on in life, the amount of “favourites” your tweet gets won’t matter, and we’ll need to overcome our obsession with technology in order to be happy and successful. This is why I believe that in order for technology to be useful, we must learn to balance out our online and offline time carefully. Overall, I believe that because of the newfound obsession with social medias and smartphones, technology acts as a barrier of success among youth in our society today.
|
Ultimately, I believe that the growth of technology has a negative impact on society because it isolates individuals from reality, hinders communication, serves for the concept of immediate gratification, and acts as a barrier to success among youth. However by balancing time wisely, I believe that people have the ability to use technology to their advantage, and will only then benefit from the advancements in this in the world today.
Works Cited
"#DoSomething." The YUNiversity. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Jan. 2015.
Banksy. "Modern Day Technology." 8Digital. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.
"Technology Is A Prison." The Denver Egotist. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Jan. 2015.
Banksy. "Don't Let Them Take Too Much Of Your Time." Twitter. N.p., n.d. Web. 19
Jan. 2015.
|
Monday, 19 January 2015
Technology's Effects on Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Simon I really like the topic you have chosen for your ISU as it is something that affects everyone and many people struggle with getting away from their phones and social media so they can actually study or do homework. Me personally I struggle with putting down technology with I have to do something. Many times when I go to study and I bring my phone with me before I start studying I check things like Twitter, Instagram and Youtube before I begin to actually study. However many times I will look at these things and then before I know it I've wasted two hours which could've been spent preparing for my test or hanging out with friends and family. In Today's society technology can greatly affect us in a negative way instead of hanging out with their friends or visiting their family people are content with facetiming or texting instead of spending quality time with each other. The image that stuck out the most with me was the one of the women being robbed and the people in the building tweeting. This represents a major problem with Today's world and you can see it all over Twitter. People tweet about donating to this cause, or a war and many other problems affecting todays world. Instead of tweeting people should be proactive and do something about the problem instead of tweeting and expecting someone else to do it. Overall, I really enjoyed your presentation and I feel like you captured today's society very well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all of your feed back, it's good to see how others view the same topic as me. It disgusts me how as a society we act as if we help others, when really we're just further advertising the problem. I agree that we must be proactive as a community to stop these problems rather than going on Twitter and hoping someone else will do it for us, and that's why I feel that new technology has a negative affect on our society.
DeleteWhat's been interesting to me is how many students are cognizant of just how much of a distraction technology is (from studies, friends, and things that really matter), and yet despite this awareness, very little actually changes in class. It speaks to the addictive nature of this technology, yet I see others working very hard to avoid falling into this trap. As teachers we discuss this issue all the time. What will it take to get our students to turn off the phones and focus on reading complicated texts that need more than just a once-over to understand?
ReplyDeleteI believe that the main reason kids are on technology so often is because it revolves around something they're interested in. For example, whenever one wishes they can simply google their favourite sports team and easily have access to last night's game. In relation, I feel that if youth were presented with texts in school that they can easily relate to (perhaps even technology), they would be more interested and engaged in the subject and have more motivation to perform to the best of their abilities. Just like some of the blogs discussed in class, youth are more interested in what they feel actually has an affect on them. It would be difficult for everyone to be engaged because of the diversity in interests throughout the class, however I strongly believe that the kid's attitudes would change if they were able to make stronger connections with the texts presented to them.
DeleteGood points. As a response I can tell you that we've stopped teaching Shakespeare and are now teaching novels that were written in this century, at least in this school. And by creating blog topics that are topical, and encouraging you to make connections between the texts and your own life, we are definitely making an effort to make our courses relevant. If you have a suggestion for a course novel that will engage 16 year-old males, let me know!
DeleteI agree, but we can take this argument in the exact opposite direction as well. While it is true that people like to hide behind technology as an excuse to not do anything to help, through technology, we can actually help in global situations where we can't actually do anything. Such as the Liberty in North Korea campaign. Through the internet, we spread to word and gain attention to the issues there and raise funds to send supplies to people living in poverty there. If we claim this as "just hiding behind the internet and not actually doing anything" ask the question, what would we physically do to help people there? Stroll in and bring them some groceries? Maybe overthrow their government while we're at it? No, It is the single most guarded country in the world. Lets just leave it to people who actually know what their doing and not get ourselves killed. And with the "technology weakening humans communication skills" That is also true to an extent. But people can have difficulty talking to people even without technology (Social Anxiety) so its not all technology's fault. And what about people who are far away from their friends/family? Some one could be going to school across the country and their only method of communication with their parents is technology, or how about a soldier in the middle east communicating with his/her family back home letting them know he/she is okay and easing their worry. Even me, I have friends who I communicate with through technology because they live on the other side of the world, and I can honestly say that technology has had 0 affect on my physical social skills. And people who are dependent on their phones or "trapped" by their phones. This is just a matter of will power, people who are so called addicted to their phones are rarely truly addicted, while true phone addicts exist, they are few and far between. And being addicted to their phones is a lot better than being addicted to something much more harmful such are cigarettes. Other than that, I completely agree. Time management is something that technology can really be harmful to, this is very evident in school when we see people wasting the whole class on their phones. Over all very good ISU and great argument that can be argued both ways.
ReplyDeleteOf course many technologies can have a negative impact on society, for example us teenagers today are too busy playing video games instead of working on our homework or studying for our next test. However technology can also be very beneficial to us. For me new technology has allowed me to Facetime with my relatives in China which if technology wasn't this advanced I wouldn't been able to. And It can also make school a whole lot easier because instead of writing out all of our notes many teacher allow us to print the notes online. Overall I enjoyed the presentation but I think that you could of also added some of the positives effects that technology has on us.
ReplyDeleteSimon this was an amazing presentation. I can't count the amount of times I have seen two people hanging out that refuse to talk to each other, and instead bury their heads into their phones. It's becoming rediculous now and is starting to even take away our lives. People no longer go outside and enjoy the nature or hangout with their friends because they are too focused on their devices. Thankfully I am starting to see a change as people are finally starting to realize this issue. Great topic.
ReplyDelete